Lots of Swag
Instead of clouded by monotonous blues, my Monday morning this week was one of the happiest ones I’ve had in a while! My mood lit up by a lovely parcel of Mozilla goodies delivered to my doorstep all the way from San Francisco! ❤️
I extend a huge thanks to Felipe, once again! :p
Lately, my work has been revolving around bringing about:policies page to existence. Before you ask, the purpose of introducing another about page is –
- To help administrators verify if they have configured the policies correctly through Active Policies Tab
- To help administrators learn more about the policies through Documentation Tab
- To help administrators figure out any errors related to Enterprise Policies through Errors Tab
In case, you’re having a hard time figuring out what are these policies that I’m referring to, please check out the previous blog in this series – Update 1 – Implementing Enterprise Policies for Firefox
There were other things that needed to be fixed before we could start with the actual implementation of the page.
The following are the bugs that were prereqs to create the about:policy page:
- Keep the parsed policies in memory so that they can be retrieved by about:policies
- Make about:support display the parsed policies json
- Change URL types to generate URL objects instead of nsIURIs
Then comes the exciting part about actually creating the page. You can follow the progress at Design and implementation of about:policies page.
I have added screenshots of every tab to show you all how it’s going to look like! 😁
- Active Policies Tab
- Policies vary a lot
- Some are just boolean values, for e.g DisableAppUpdate
- Some are arrays of objects with keys and values, for e.g. Bookmarks
- Some are objects which have keys and their values have arrays at a deeper level, for e.g Permissions
- Policies vary a lot
- Documentation Tab
- Machine-only icon warns the administrator about such policies
- Each policy row is collapsible which on click expands to display more information about the policy, for the e.g. schema for the policy
- Errors Tab
- Error tab is only visible when there is an error
- Gives a brief of the error relating to the Policy Engine only
That’s all for this update!
Cheers, see you soon!